Updated OutlookGoogleSync.exe

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I've posted an updated OutlookGoogleSync.exe that fixes some of the issues people have been having with:

1. Duplicated events
  2. Improper date range calculation
  3. Outlook complaining about accessing email addresses during the sync process

Hopefully I can insert the URL here.  If not, it's attached to issue #11. 

http://outlookgooglesync.codeplex.com/Download/AttachmentDownload.ashx?ProjectName=outlookgooglesync&WorkItemId=11&FileAttachmentId=601064

If you see any problems feel free to create an issue or respond to this topic.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

This update fixed the problems I was having. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Hey, thanks for this great app.

Would it be possible to do the sync Two way?  Maybe optional?

Or selectabel in what direction the sync goes.

Thanks a lot.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I'm using this 1.0.7 and it seems some of my calendar items are still getting duplicated. Strangely, it appears to only be happening on certain days possibly on "today" and the "last day" of the time range set, in my case 90 days from now. "Today" is not the first day set for may range, I've got 5 days back as my start point. I've deleted all of the calendar items from the Google calendar on the offending days and have allowed OGS to recreate all tasks, but duplicates are still created on subsequent runs. I'm not seeing anything special about the appointments/meetings for the offending days other than "today" and "last day".

Ideas?

Thanks!
Feb 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM
The way I solved this in 1.0.7 was to try to ensure that both Google and Outlook date ranges started at midnight. However, this could still possibly fail if Google and Outlook had different time zone settings, so make sure your time zone settings on Windows and on Google Calendar match. I'm not sure if Outlook has any way to specify time zone separately, but probably not.
Feb 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Thanks for the reply! I looked and my Google Calendar is set to CST and the timezone of my XP box is set to CST I only run Outlook from there so, I'm assuming the timezone of my Outlook calendar is CST as well. I'd think if there was some overall time zone issue I'd be seeing all meetings created at the wrong times or duplicates which are off set by some time difference, but I see neither of those. It seems odd that this happens on "Today" and the "last day" only...anything you want me to try?

Thanks!
Mar 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM
The duplicate bug that I fixed was due to the way the program was querying both calendars to find events you had scheduled. When it queried Google it was specifying a slightly different start/end time than when it queried Outlook, and that meant it didn't "see" events that were already in Google.

For example, it might ask Google for events starting at 12:00pm EST and ask Outlook for events starting at 12:00am EST. Anything that falls between 12:00am and 12:00pm will get duplicated over and over.

I read your initial post wrong. I thought you were saying the duplicates were on days -5 and +90, which is when I'd expect them. If your range is -5 to +90 and you're seeing duplicates TODAY there's something completely different going on. I'm not sure what could cause that.
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Oh, ok! I'll drop back to 1.0.6 to see if I still get the 0 & +90 duplicates, hopefully 1.0.7 didn't introduce anything new. Thanks!
Mar 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Just dropped back to 1.0.6 and ran it a few times in a row. Looks like there is no new issues introduced by 1.0.7 so, that's good.

Here's what I'm seeing:
  • No duplicates on day 0.
  • Got duplicates on days +88, +89, +90. I deleted these and re-ran 1.0.6 several times, getting more duplicates. It looks like the "export_found_in_google.txt" does not contain the newly created appointments so, naturally, OGS creates new ones. The export properly reported at least one appointment on day +90 so, it's not a matter of the export ending a day or two early.
  • I was able to recreate this 'new' appointment behavior on any N day in the date range.
  • It seems that it takes hours for the Google export to include new or changed appointments.
Anyone know about the Google export stuff / timing?

This lag could explain the behavior seen in issue ID 8 and 10, created a new issue...14

Ideas?

Thanks!